HPC-Day for Physicists with Hands-On
HPC Day for Physicists
9.2.2023, with hands-on, coffee an cookies
Open for all physicists from HIM, KPH and IPH.
--> PLEASE REGISTER HERE: https://indico.him.uni-mainz.de/event/174/ <---
Morning session (9:15-12:15, lecturer Dr. Peter-Bernd Otte)
- Setup and gain access to our cluster computer (with hands-on)
- feel free to complete this step already on the days before
- Machine overview (Himster 2 / Mogon 2, home directory, Lustre, interconnect, guided tour) (with hands-on)
- Cluster wide compution with MPI for Python (with hands-on)
- Mathematica on Himster 2 (with hands-on)
- Jupyter and Papermill (with hands-on)
- Building und using a container with Singularity (with hands-on)
- lunch break -
afternoon session (13:00-16:00)
- Research data management (Dr. Jörg Steinkamp, ZDV)
- Lustre, parallel file system: introduction and best practices, hands-on (Patrick Keller, ZDV)
- JGU campus network, connections to the Internet and mass data transport (Dr. Jügern Weiß, ZDV)
- Involved in data transfer across the university or around the globe (eg BES3, GSI or CERN)? This is your topic!
Expert talks will also be abailable via zoom: https://gsi-fair.zoom.us/j/69663772609 (code: 621096) but with the hands-on session.
To participate in the hands-on session, please:
- bring your own portable computer
- register via indico:
- if you have no Himster 2 or Mogon 2 account yet, register some days before with your personal ID card.